What is an artists cloud?
The above "word cloud" is only an example - you can style your cloud with a lot of option (layout, font, colors, ...).
AppleScript utility "Most Played Artists v2.0":
This script is published on Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes and generates a text file that lists the total combined play count of tracks by each unique artist in your library. You must have played at least one track by an artist for that artist to be included in the ranking.
Ranked 286 artists out of 20945 tracks in 1 minutes, 44 seconds.
Rank Play Count Artist
1 1046 Regina Spektor
2 847 Supertramp
3 829 Air
4 459 Jack Johnson
5 437 Calexico
6 395 Def Leppard
7 238 Nirvana
285 1 Wild Cherry
286 1 3 T
"Most Played Artists" by Michael Henley (2006-Feb-17)
Modification / enhancement to "Most Played Artists v2.0":
I have enhanced the utility a little bit - you will get an additional statistic:
This second statistic (only the format is different) can be used as direct input for "Wordle Advanced" (the cloud generator).
Cook recipe - generate a most played artists cloud:
Step 1 - generate most played artists statistics from iTunes:
- launch iTunes (if it isn't already running)
- run the utility "PlayedArtistsCloud" from the iTunes scripts menu
- wait for completion (1-10 minutes)
- after completion you will find two files on your desktop
- both files are also opened with TextEdit
Step 2 - generate the word cloud:
- surf to http://www.wordle.net/
- choose menu entry "Advanced" (Link: http://www.wordle.net/advanced)
- copy all data from the second statistic into the clipboard
- paste the contents of the clipboard into the textbox "Wordle Avanced!"
- push "Go"
- style your cloud according to your demands
The script will take anywhere from 1 to 10 minutes to complete depending on the size of your library and the speed of your computer. Two text files are saved to your desktop and automatically opened on completion with TextEdit.
AppleScript utility "PlayedArtistsCloud":
Download the modified version of "Most Played Artists v2.0": PlayedArtistsCloud
How to install the "PlayedArtistsCloud" AppleScripts to the iTunes toolbar (scripts menu):
- For a single user:
Create a "Scripts" folder in the [username]/Library/iTunes/ folder.
- For all users:
Create a "Scripts" folder it in the Library/iTunes/ folder of your startup drive.
You may have to create the "iTunes" folder.
- Put the "PlayedArtistsCloud" script in the "Scripts" folder and it will appear in the iTunes toolbar (scripts menu).